Tuesday, November 26, 2013

E-I-E-I-O

I can't say this enough times, but I am so thankful for farmers!! While most don't portray the picture that the song "Old McDonald" paints, they've had a huge influence on my life! My childhood, my education, my jobs, my present, and my future.

While I didn't grow up as the farmer's daughter, I did grow up in a farming community.  Pa has always worked in the agricultural field, working early hours and late nights to provide his services and products to the farmers.  I would often ride with him.  I loved being in the sprayer, "Bear" (a semi truck-- hmm, see DJ and I really are meant to be- ha!), tractors, combines, or even just his truck driving around.  I always asked ask who lives there, or who farms that?  I'm not sure if he really knew or if he just said a name-- it's a complete toss up really!!  We'd drive around and look at crops and get out and walk fields.  I was his little helper.  I spent many afternoons/evenings standing around some farmer's shed with the guys. 

My grandparents owned a farm and did both row crops and livestock.  I was always there riding or helping Gpa with the horses.  We would ride back around the field to check on the cattle.  I was in FFA and on the beef team in high school.  I worked at the chicken ranch, not to be confused with the Pizza Ranch!!  The chicken ranch was the term we gave the egg packing plant.  There were maybe three of us girls working there through high school.  It was not the most pleasant, but we would rather be there than all dolled up working retail or something!  I went off to college and helped in the hog barns.  I graduated with a BS in animal science. 

I worked summers at a crop dusting company and fell in love with it!  I decided that I needed to take some classes in agronomy.  Then I found my internship, which led to my job, and DJ.

Now I'm back to riding in the trucks, tractors, semi's, combines and standing in sheds with the guys. I'm back to going on crop tours and giving the guys rides when they need it.  I check the rain gauge.  I go out and feed the "hay burners" in blizzards.  I haul hay racks home in the heat of the summer. 

I am one of the very few lucky ones who get to see first hand the hard work that farmers put in throughout the year.  I see the risk they deal with first hand.  So next time you see a farmer, thank him or her, your belly is full because of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment