Monday, June 20, 2016

The Peabody's

When I got the Peabody's, I got them with the intentions that they would be free rangers.  Ya know, like power rangers.  When I got them home, I put them in the old garage to keep them from Josie any predators.  After awhile I decided to open up the front gate and let them wander out on their own.  After they didn't come out I decided I'd move the whole gate so it would be easier for them to see it's down and they can come and go as they please.  They never went.  They'd stay in the garage.

Finally one day I was able to get Francis outside and threw her some bread, only for her to fly back in.  She CAN fly, noted.  

I continued leaving the gate off and moved their food and water closer to the gate and eventually outside.  Still, they wouldn't go waltz around the yard like I'd anticipated.  

This past Friday, Hasty came over and he decided they were coming out.  He got Francis out and she just sat there.  Once he got Floyd out, he flew to the top of the old garage and sat there watching us below.  Francis didn't move for awhile so eventually we put her in the shade and I put some food and water there with her, along with bread pieces.  She still didn't move.

When the guys came back, Floyd was still on the roof.  Hasty decided it was too hot for him to be up there and he was going to grab him and bring him down to Francis.  What actually happened was Floyd took off to a tree.  

The next morning, I woke up to honking.  Peafowl honking, not car honking.  Plus, there was evidence they'd moved.  They'd left us a nice little present pile of poop at the front door.  DJ cleaned that up and I went to locate them.  I found Floyd in the same tree, but higher.  There was no sign of Francis.  She had moved and I couldn't find her in any of our trees.  I'm no hunter though, so I still held out hope she was hanging around somewhere.

Saturday afternoon I went around searching again.  Floyd was accounted for, Francis not so much.

Sunday morning, I woke up and headed out to get an update.  They're both MIA.  We were having a Father's Day get together at our place, so I sent out a mass text saying there would be prizes for locating the Peabody's.  DD got there and decided to take the boys on a Ranger ride.  They came back and said they saw one of them in a bean field. 

I put on my rubber boots and a long sleeve shirt (I'd just showered and got half way presentable when I learned there'd been a sighting...).  He drove me up to where he saw it and sure enough, there was Floyd.  In the middle of a bean field.  Of course it's not our bean field, so the neighbor comes out to see what's going on.  I was able to catch him; he may or may  not have lost a feather or two in the ordeal.  Lucky for me, the only documentation of this was on Snapchat, so that should be gone by now.  We headed home with him and I put him back in the garage.  The door is open, but he was still in there this morning.  I'm hoping he calls her back, but I'm not sure that'll happen.

I'll be sure to keep you updated. Maybe I'll start a new hashtag to raise awareness: #bringfrancishome 

No comments:

Post a Comment