Friday, March 8, 2013

Cast Iron Banana Bread

Alright, here's the recipe I was talking about.  It is sooo good!!   I found it at themeaningofpie.com.  Thank you, Pinterest.

I had never made banana bread before.  We had some bananas that were past their prime so I went to Pinterest.  I put in banana bread and saw one in a cast iron skillet.  I thought that was great!  (DJ is kind of on a cast iron kick right now...)  And we had pretty much everything on hand.  I made it while DJ was gone.  Then when he got home he informed me he doesn't like banana bread.  Handy.  He did end up trying it and said it was good, then got mad when I decided to take it into work!  I took it into work and it lasted all of a day and a half before we devoured it.  My coworker then told me I had to make it again.  I only had one banana left.  So then my boss gives me two of them.  I took the hint and made it again and brought it in yesterday.  As of now, there's a tiny sliver left.  It's just so good!  You don't even need to put butter on it! 

I did tweak it a smidge... I am not a fan of allspice so I used cardamom instead-- and NO I had never heard of that before so it was a gamble (one that actually paid off!).  They also had mace in place of nutmeg; but that is not something that is stocked at the Holy Knollies!

Wet Ingredients:½ c butter, melted and cooled slightly
⅓ c buttermilk
3 mashed bananas
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
Dry Ingredients:
2 c flour
½ c sugar
½ c brown sugar
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
1 c pecans
¼ t nutmeg
¼ t cardamom
butter to grease the skillet

Preheat the oven to 350.
Mash the bananas. Mix in buttermilk, butter, vanilla and eggs. In a different bowl, combine the dry ingredients and combine. Mix the dry stuff into the wet stuff (half at a time) and stir until combined.  Butter your 9" cast iron skillet and pour your batter in.  Bake for 30-35 minutes (use the toothpick trick!-- my first one took foooorrreverrr and my next one was about 35 minutes)

Alright, go whip up a batch and let me know what you think!!  (sorry-- having difficulties with the picture thing again... just go to www.themeaningofpie.com and look at their pictures!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment